CONSTITUTION OF COVENTRY AND WARWICKSHIRE HUMANISTS
(as revised on 15th September 2016*)
1. The Group shall be called the Coventry & Warwickshire Humanists.
2. The aims of the Group shall be
a) to promote an understanding and awareness of Humanism in the local area and
a) to provide a means for local Humanists to come together.
3. Membership shall be open to all persons who support the aims of the Group and who pay the subscription.
4. The subscription shall be paid annually and the amount shall be decided by the committee.
5. Committee. The Group shall be managed by a committee which shall consist of six members. The committee shall decide upon the tasks which each shall perform, e.g. chairperson, secretary, treasurer.
6. Appointment of committee. Each Annual General Meeting shall elect all committee members. Nominations for the committee shall be given to the secretary in writing before the AGM and shall be signed by the proposer who has obtained the agreement of the nominee. If more than six members are nominated, an election shall take place by secret ballot and the six nominees with the highest number of votes shall be elected. In the case of a tie between the nominees with the least votes, the member in the chair shall draw lots to decide who among them shall be elected.
7. Casual vacancies / working parties. When vacancies occur on the committee, they may, with one month’s notice, be filled by the election of duly nominated members at any monthly meeting of the group, the member or members so elected to serve until the next AGM. The committee shall have the power to co-opt any member to form working parties for specific purposes.
8. The Group shall have an account at a bank or similar institution. Withdrawals from the account shall require the signatures of two committee members.
9. Annual General Meeting. This will normally take place in September and the business shall be:
a) the chairperson’s report
a) the treasurer’s report
a) the election of a new committee, and
a) deciding on any motion for discussion.
If a vote is taken on a motion, this shall be by a show of hands (unless otherwise agreed). The member in the chair shall have a casting vote in the event of a tie. The AGM shall be chaired by the chairperson or other such officer or committee member as the meeting shall agree. Ten members shall form a quorum.
10. Special General Meetings. The committee may call an SGM at any time,
provided seven day’s notice is given to all members and this should include the agenda. If ten members sign a request to the committee to call an SGM, the committee must do so. Procedure and quorum shall be the same as for the AGM.
10a. Special Measures
In the event that the Posts of Chairman, Secretary or Treasurer remain unfilled an AGM shall have the option to adopt an alternative form of governance for a period not exceeding three years.
11. Winding up. The Group can be wound up only by an AGM or SGM and only if the notice of the meeting states that winding up will be discussed. Any assets of the Group shall, after winding up, be donated in equal shares to the International Humanist and Ethical Union the National Secular Society and the Uganda Humanist Schools Association.
12. Constitution. A majority of officers shall have the final word on the interpretation of the rules. Amendments to the constitution may be made by a two thirds majority at an AGM or SGM. Details of the proposed amendments must be sent out with the notice of the meeting.
*Previous revisions 19th September, 1996 and 17th September, 2015